Sunday, September 20, 2009

Google - Week One

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, we're in the process of migrating the first of our domains (for Virgin Media National customers with a @virgin.net e-mail address) onto the Google Apps platform for our Virgin Media Mail service (which new customers have been on for some time).

Once customers are moved over they get the benefit of 7GB inboxes, search and chat features and we get them onto a platform that means we can offer more services in the future. They'll be able to get @virginmedia.com e-mail addresses too.

There's plenty more info on our website for anyone interested in what is happening.

Last week we started the movement of customer mailboxes to the Google platform after our internal staff trials were closed as a success the week before - with something like 94% positive feedback from the triallists.

Starting on Tuesday last week, we moved just under 3,000 mailboxes to Google (at over a 95% success rate - any that didn't migrate successfully are switched back to the old platform while we fix whatever we need to, so there's no customer impact), and all the metrics we measure on customer calls and contacts are looking good.

To mark the start of the migrations, one of our change managers and I spent much of the week with our technical support team in Swansea just to ensure all is going well so far:
Inside the centre itself though, things are busier in the distance than the foreground - but the good news is that things are going well for them too:
With all looking good, we're ramping up the volumes to get the migrations complete as soon as possible and move onto the cable platforms (for customers with @ntlworld.com and @blueyonder.co.uk e-mail addresses) while we implement a few fixes to improve the migration success rate.

Now, onto week two!

No comments:

Post a Comment